The county town of Suffolk has claims to be the oldest continuously occupied English town, having emerged in the 7th century as a wic or emporium trading with similar centres across the North Sea. In the early 8th century it started to produce a new type of pottery – Ipswich Ware – which was the first wheel-made pottery to be produced in Britain since the end of Roman rule. The Anglo-Saxon town covered about 50ha, but it has now grown to over 4,000ha.
For more information see:
Wade, K. 'Gipeswic - East Anglia's first economic capital, 600-1066', in N. Salmon and R. Malster (eds), Ipswich from the First to the Third Millennium, Ipswich 2001, 1-6.